Friday, April 04, 2008

Computer Rage

When Jonathan Edwards was about nineteen years old he wrote a bunch of resolutions, thus setting an explicit agenda for his thought and conduct. They're pretty hardcore.

Here's number 15.

15. Resolved, Never to suffer the least motions of anger towards irrational beings.

As someone who commits 'computer rage' (well, with PCs anyway, who could get angry at something so beautiful as a Mac?) and gets angry with other inanimate objects, I find that extremely challenging. He is, of course, completely right - such displays of anger are childish (toys out of pram anyone?) and ungodly.

So I'm resolved to try at number 15 now too.

And I'm also resolved to find time in the first five years of ministry to read much more Edwards (I think I'll need to limit myself to making a list of four or five 'friends' to commit to reading over the first few years, otherwise the list could just go on and on and on).

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I had a moment of rage yesterday with an inanimate object... and unsurprisingly, it was a PC! I am pretty much on personal terms with our computer support team... why can't everything be as beautiful as easy to use as a mac!!

But you're right- I shouldn't really lose my temper!!

Hope you're well... see you 25th April?